SWEDEN: Systembolaget November sales on the wane
Sales at Systembolaget fell in November. Figures released yesterday show a drop in sales at the Swedish state-owned retailing monopoly, measured in pure alcohol, of 2.4% year-on-year.
Spirits sales fell by 11%, while sales of wine dropped by 1.4% and cider by 4.4%. Sales of strong beer, however, rose by 2.4%. It is the only type of beer available at Systembolaget.
In the south of the country, where sales fell by 19.3% in November, the trend for Swedes travelling to neighbouring Denmark to buy their alcohol continued. In October this year Denmark cut its alcohol excise duties by 47%. In counties closest to Norway sales also fell as Norwegians prefer to travel further to Denmark rather than buy alcohol in Sweden.
In the north of Sweden sales of strong beer and cider rose by 20.5% and 27.4% respectively as Finns cross the border into Sweden to buy their alcohol.
For the period January to November this year, sales measured in pure alcohol rose by 3.6% compared to last year.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research