SWEDEN: Sweden looks to up alcohol sales spread
The ongoing Swedish government review into modernising the country's alcohol sales legislation has produced a proposal to permit Sweden's 1,000 co-operative and farm-run stores to sell alcohol on a restricted basis.
"Sweden does need to modernise its alcohol laws," Public Health Minister Maria Larsson said today (18 September). "We are looking at a large number of options. We are looking at allowing the sale of some alcohol products in restaurants and cafes that serve cold foods. The investigation will also look at possibly allowing the sale of alcohol in co-op stores nationwide."
The minister said that there were anomalies in the law where alcohol could be sold in restaurants serving hot foods but not in specialist restaurants, such as those serving sushi.
The Public Health Ministry intends to appoint a committee of inquiry, which will bring forward proposals for reform, in October.
The steep rise in alcohol duties announced in yesterday's Budget, which the Government says will help to tackle binge drinking, follows the publication of its review of the 2005 Licensing Act last wee...
Taxes on alcohol in the UK have been raised markedly in today's (12 March) Budget announcement....
The Boston Beer Company has posted a strong set of results for the end of the year, with net profit almost trebling in the final quarter....
Anheuser-Busch is looking to "decomoditise" its Budweiser brand in the UK with a new campaign for the beer....
An attack on RTDs by a political party has been dismissed by an alcohol trade body in the UK....
Anheuser Busch has responded to recent legal threats from an activist group in the US over its caffeinated alcoholic drinks, suggesting the group is simply interested in generating publicity....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium has announced two appointments to its global travel retail team in the Nordic region....
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020