JAPAN: Suntory to roll out own brands in new markets after GSK deal
Suntory Food & Beverage has no presence in Nigeria
Suntory has no plans to launch potential new acquisitions Ribena and Lucozade in Japan but will use them to expand its existing portfolio in the UK, Nigeria and Malaysia, the company said today (9 September).
The three countries are core markets for the GlazoSmithKline (GSK) brands, which Suntory Food & Beverage has agreed to buy for GBP1.35bn (US$2.11bn), it was announced today. The Japanese soft drinks unit has almost no presence in the regions, but in a presentation after today's announcement said it will “gain opportunities” there through the “cross-launch” of Suntory brands.
“The addition of the sales network associated with these two global brands will give us a platform in countries where GSK already operates,” the company said.
Meanwhile, a Suntory Food & Beverage spokesperson told just-drinks the company, a division of Suntory Holdings, has “no plans to sell Lucozade and Ribena in other new markets, including Japan, at the present moment”.
The UK accounted for 77% of Ribena and Lucozades sales volumes last year, according to Euromonitor figues cited by Suntory Food & Beverage.
Lucozade is the top-selling product by volume in the UK energy drinks category while Ribena is the fourth-biggest selling product in the fruit juice & concentrated fruit juice category by volume. Suntory distributes its Orangina brand in the UK through an agreement with AG Barr.
The spokesperson confirmed the company has no presence in Nigeria, while in Malaysia it owns food company Cerebos Pacific.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
Suntory Holdings Ltd in Soft Drinks (Japan)
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...read more
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research