JAPAN: Suntory silent on new CEO reports
Suntory Holdings has yet to officially confirm reports it has appointed a new chief executive.
Media outlets including Bloomberg and the Financial Times reported today (24 June) that Suntory has lined up Takeshi Niinami to take over from current chairman & CEO Nobutada Saji in October. Japan's Kyodo news agency quotes Saji, who will will stay on as chairman, as saying that Niinami "has an international outlook, vigor, and an ability to crisscross the world".
Saji reportedly added: "I have big hopes for him."
However, Suntory said in a statement today (24 June) that the reports “are not based on any official announcements”. “No facts relating to the matter have been confirmed at this point,” the statement said.
Niinami is the head of Japanese convenience store chain Lawson and, if confirmed, would be Suntory's first CEO from outside the founding family.
Suntory has been involved in a string of acquisitions in the past year, including the US$16bn purchase of Beam Inc.
The fourth section of this year's Sustainability in Soft Drinks management briefing looks at how broadening stakeholder involvement can enhance company-sponsored research projects, while also examinin...
The clamour in recent years to enter the Irish whiskey category suggests that the segment is poised to become the next big thing. But, with one brand dominating the sector massively, are the prospects...
Earlier today, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's wine and spirits brands. In this excerpt from the full report, which can be down...
The Irish whiskey market can expect more acquisitions as second-tier alcohol companies snap up the new wave of distilleries in Ireland, an industry player has said....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends