UK/IRELAND: Summer calender gives hope to C&C Group - analyst
C&C Group has EUR68.3m (US$108.8) in ready cash
C&C Group's underlying weaknesses may in part be shored up by a summer of big events, an analyst has said.
The group's full-year results, reported earlier today, are mostly in line with expectations, according to Canaccord Genuity's Wayne Brown, with lacklustre volumes down 10.5%. Shares are likely to fall and risks remain high and toward the downside, Brown said.
The company's EUR68.3m (US$108.8) cash on hand was its greatest protection, Brown noted, although he criticised C&C's “so-far pedestrian pace of its M&A strategy”.
“After three years to explore its M&A strategy, we feel there is a lack of opportunity to drive significant value,” he said.
In a conference call with investors today, C&C Group CEO Stephen Glancey said his company is on the hunt for acquisitions, possibly in the soft drinks market.
Brown said C&C's current trading has been poor because of bad weather in its larger markets of the UK and Ireland, but added that the company's second quarter from June to August will be a likely catalyst, thanks to a crowded summer-events calendar.
“[This] is the high point for cider volumes, comparatives ease and there is the diamond jubilee, Euro [football] championships and Olympics, which should help underlying weakness,” he said.
The reports out of India late last week that the chairman of The UB Group has been hit with a warrant for his arrest will have been greeted with raised eyebrows by many in our industry - not least, th...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India