DENMARK: Strike sees Carlsberg run out of beer
Carlsberg has confirmed to just-drinks that it has run out of draught beer and soft drinks for its home market of Denmark due to a week-long strike at its production facility in Fredericia.
Industrial action at the site, located in the Jutland region of Denmark, broke out on Wednesday last week, with members of the 3F trade union objecting to a non-union employee working at the plant. A hearing at the industrial relations conciliation service was held earlier today (22 August), and the 130 union members who have walked out have been instructed to return to work.
A further meeting is scheduled to take place early tomorrow morning.
Speaking to just-drinks today (22 August), a spokesperson for Carlsberg's Denmark operations said: "This dispute is nothing to do with us. We are not allowed to intervene."
In the meantime, the facility no longer has supplies of beer and soft drinks. Fredericia is the only production facility that Carlsberg has in Denmark.
"We are looking to import supplies from other countries," the spokesperson said.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends