Statement from Bacardi U.S.A., Inc. on the U.S. Court of Appeals Ruling Regarding Havana Club Rum Registration
CORAL GABLES, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)
Statement from Patricia M. Neal, spokeswoman for Bacardi U.S.A., Inc., on the U.S. Court of Appeals ruling on March 29, 2011 regarding the HAVANA CLUB registration.
“Bacardi U.S.A., Inc. applauds the U.S. Court of Appeals for confirming that the Cuban government had no `vested right' to the renewal of the HAVANA CLUB trademark registration in the U.S., and that the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) acted lawfully in denying Cubaexport a license for the renewal. The effect of the Court of Appeals’ decision is that the Cuban government’s registration is expired and cancelled. The U.S. courts have also consistently ruled that the Cuban-French venture Havana Club Holding has no rights to the HAVANA CLUB trademark in the U.S.
“With this ruling, the United States reaffirms the traditional principle that confiscation of trademarks in one country has no effect on another. Cuban confiscation of trademarks without compensation to the original owners does not extend to U.S. trademarks.
“We are thrilled with the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals. As we have maintained all along, Bacardi is the legitimate owner of the brand.”
About Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.
Bacardi U.S.A., Inc. is the United States import and distribution arm of one of the world's leading spirits and wine producers. The company boasts a portfolio of some of the most recognized and top-selling spirits brands in the United States including BACARDI® rum, the world's favorite and best-selling premium rum, as well as the world's most awarded rum; GREY GOOSE® vodka, the world-leader in super-premium vodka; DEWAR'S® Blended Scotch Whisky, the number-one selling blended Scotch whisky in the United States; BOMBAY SAPPHIRE® gin, the top-valued and fastest-growing premium gin in the world; CAZADORES® 100 percent blue agave tequila, the number-one premium tequila in Mexico and a top-selling premium tequila in the United States; MARTINI® vermouth, the world-leader in vermouth; and other leading and emerging brands. For additional information, visit http://www.bacardiusa.com.
Bacardi U.S.A., Inc.
Amy Federman, 441-294-1110
Patricia M. Neal, 441-294-1110
Johnnie Walker has strengthened its position as the biggest-selling spirits brand in the travel retail channel, ahead of next week's TFWA exhibition in Cannes....
Diageo is toasting the release of The IWSR's Top 50 International Spirits Brands list, holding on to the top spot and boasting the largest grower in the top ten....
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research