UK: Sports, energy drinks on the rise in UK in '08 – Britvic
Sports and energy drinks outperformed all other categories in the UK last year, according to this year's Britvic Soft Drinks Report 2009.
Citing Nielsen data, the report, released in the UK yesterday (12 March), shows that glucose and energy drinks grew 12% in both value and volume in 2008, overtaking juice drinks, while sports drinks rose 7% in value and 9% in volume.
Carbonates performed well with cola doubling its value growth by 4% to GBP1.29bn; flavoured carbonates fell 1% to GBP432m whilst non fruit carbonates grew 2% on the back of a particularly successful year from Irn Bru, which recorded 5% sales growth.
Pure juice fell 1% to GBP1.21bn whilst juice drinks saw value sales fall 1% to GBP480m. Ribena had a poor year with carton sales down 13%.
The sectors that have suffered the most in the economic downturn are bottled water, which fell 9% to GBP417m and smoothies, down 20% to GBP172m.
The full report can be viewed here.
There is always a bubble inflating somewhere. Right now that somewhere appears to be the soft drinks market. Intense interest among Japanese buyers has created an opportunity for US private-equity fir...
There's a new impulse buy opportunity for retailers and an energy/nutrition fix for consumers in the form of a niche, but growing category - the shot. Annette Farr considers the category, and takes a ...
Suntory Holdings seems to have its hands full at the moment. Not only is it in merger talks with Japanese rival Kirin Holdings, but it is now close to a deal to buy the French soft drink brand Orangin...
The future of highly-caffeinated energy drinks has fallen under the spotlight in Australia, with the state government of New South Wales looking at ways of taking some drinks off the market....
The latest energy drink launches are not getting any healthier, according to new research out today (2 September)....
Hansen Natural has hailed promising international growth for its Monster Energy drinks brand, which has again driven company growth in the first half of 2009....
Hansen Natural Corporation has secured the presence of its Monster energy drink in the Carl's Jr and Hardee's fast food restaurants in the US....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has warned of a weakening bottled water market in the US, but hailed strong performances by the Coke Zero, Monster and Glaceau drinks brands in its second quarter....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends