EUROPE: Spirits producers unveil new marketing guidelines
Marketing standards are designed to fall into line across the EU with the new guidelines
European spirits producers have made a fresh commitment to responsible marketing standards, applying also to social media, by unveiling new EU-wide guidelines for the sector.
The European Spirits Organisation's (CEPS) new guidelines, released yesterday (3 April), have been designed to bring the varied Europe-wide marketing standards into line and reinforce the sector's commitment to “responsible consumption”. The guidelines, which will be independently monitored in 2014, also put the focus on digital and social media marketing. They also cover product placement and “responsible content” of marketing material.
“The CEPS guidelines are an unprecedented effort of the whole sector to achieve the same understanding of what constitutes responsible commercial communications.,” said Paul Skehan, director general of CEPS.
He added: “Adopting pan-sectoral, pan-European guidelines as a single reference point are a vital part of that process.”
However, the guidelines state they “do not replace existing national regulatory standards, but provide “reference” for national codes around the marketing of spirits.
CEPS is the representative body for the spirits industry at a European level, consisting of 30 national associations and leading spirits-producing companies.
To read the guidelines, click here.
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends