UK: Spirits imports explode in China - research
Spirits imports into China posted dramatic gains in 2006, rising by 36.5% to 3.5m nine-litre cases, according to the latest findings from The IWSR Drinks Record.
Scotch whisky spearheaded that growth, rising by 36% last year to reach 1.6m cases, of which 1.4m were premium-and-above qualities. Cognac sales rose by 40% to 1.1m cases, with most of this at VSOP-and-above qualities.
Chivas Regal continued its dominance over the key 12yo segment after a near 10% rise to 725,000 cases, which nevertheless represents a slowdown compared to previous years. That slowdown has continued in the first half of 2007. Pernod Ricard managing director Pierre Pringuet told a press conference last week: "In Spring 2007 we really saw a slowdown in the market (for Chivas). There are a number of factors. We had quite a nice geographical expansion in China in past years covering more cities. That process has ended because you can only expand so far."
While Chivas Regal's rate of growth may have slowed in 2006, sales of another Pernod Ricard brand, Ballantine's 12yo, nearly doubled to about 100,000 cases- most of it at super-premium prices.
Cognac's growth was led by Hennessy, which posted a very impressive gain of 53% to just under 500,000 cases. Pernod Ricard's Martell brand overtook Rémy Martin last year to become the second-ranked Cognac brand after posting an equally impressive 47% rise. Rémy Martin brand sales increased by 17.6% to 288,000 cases.
Marketing spirits as constituents in new or popular cocktails has been a feature of the spirits category for years. And the growing emphasis on attracting younger consumers has meant the cocktail has ...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The auction for Vin & Sprit has begun, according to reports....
Pernod Ricard has posted a healthy lift in sales for the first half of its fiscal year....
Pernod Ricard has refused to be drawn on whether it has submitted a preliminary bid for Vin & Sprit....
The Swedish authorities have warned that the current turbulence on global markets could slow the sale of Vin & Sprit....
2007 was the "best year ever" for global sales of Cognac and the "sixth consecutive year of growth", according to trade body Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC)....
Morgan Stanley has upgraded its coverage of Diageo....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages