LUXEMBOURG: SPI Group keen to extend global wine presence
SPI Group has announced itself open to acquiring businesses that would boost its global wine portfolio.
The Luxembourg-headquartered company, which owns the Stolichnaya vodka brand, said earlier today (26 September) that it is looking to “further diversify its spirit portfolio through the acquisition of exclusive and premium wineries located throughout the world”. SPI's owner, Russian businessman Yuri Shefler, is handling the hunt for suitable targets.
“We are carefully evaluating multiple opportunities which will allow SPI to enrich its portfolio of jewel wines and develop this part of our company,” said company CEO Val Mendeleev.
Financial details behind the privately-held company's intentions were not disclosed, although SPI said it is evaluating opportunities in California, Spain, Portugal and Chile.
In 2006, SPI Group acquired a stake in the Tenuta dell'Ornellaia, Castelgiocondo and Luce della Vite estates, all part of the Marchesi de'Frescobaldi family holdings. This was followed in 2011 by the purchase of a “significant” stake in Argentine winery Achaval-Ferrer.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Cider/perry sales remain negligible in Uzbekistan due to a lack of awareness of such products and very limited demand....
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
RTDs/high-strength premixes sales are negligible in Uzbekistan....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review