UK: Soft drinks market grows in 2010 - figures
Soft drinks consumption in the UK reached 14.6m litres in 2010
Consumption of soft drinks in the UK last year climbed by 4.1% in volume - the fastest annual rate of growth in the last seven years, according to industry figures.
Soft drinks consumption reached 14.6m litres in 2010, data from the 2011 UK Soft Drinks Report published by the British Soft Drinks Association revealed on Tuesday (12 April). The value of the market increased by 5.8% to GBP13.8m (US$22.5m) last year.
"2010 was a year of resilience and recovery," the report noted. "Despite a long winter and tough economic conditions, the UK soft drinks market bounced back readily. Consumers remain concerned with value. Affordable, large pack sizes have helped drive growth, alongside convenience packs in the on-the-go channel."
The report revealed a 4.9% volume increase in the consumption of carbonates, dilutables volume growth of 4.5%, and a 3.1% rise in the consumption of fruit juice and smoothies.
However, it was sports and energy drinks that climbed the most, with 13.1% and 12.8% volume growth respectively.
Click here to view the full report.
In part one of this month's management briefing, MJ Deschamps considers the roles that functionality, health and wellness and technology will play in shaping the consumer - and his beverage choices - ...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends