UK/US: Shepherd Neame targets US with Moosehead Breweries deal
Shepherd Neame is making a return to the US
UK brewer Shepherd Neame has signed a five-year distribution deal with Moosehead Breweries to supply its beers to the US and Canada.
The Kent-based group's flagship brew, Spitfire, will be released in North America in September, with further roll-outs planned in 12 months, it said yesterday (26 July). It will be the first time in 13 years that Shepherd Neame has sold its beers in the US.
Canada's Moosehead claims to be the country's "oldest independent brewery".
It comes after Shepherd Neame yesterday announced a restructure, off the back of signing a new logistics deal.
Shipments of Spitfire have gone out this week and “phase 1” of sales will focus on the US East Coast, followed by the Mid-West, including Chicago and Michigan.
“We are very excited about this and the intial feedback we've had has been excellent,” Olly Scott, Shepherd Neame's export manager, told just-drinks today.
The Spitfire sold in the US will be the same liquid sold in the UK, with an abv of 4.5%, Scott confirmed.
Moosehead Breweries vice president for sales & marketing, Jim Eagles, added: “We know our customers have huge affection for Spitfire Ale, it’s a quintessential English ale which is supported by a very cheeky marketing campaign that really resonates with people."
Bishops Finger is expected to be the second beer released into the markets this time next year.
Shepherd Neame exports to 25 countries, including Sweden, Norway, France, Italy, Brazil, China and Australia. Scott described Sweden as the "engine room" of its export business.
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends