INDIA: Scotland targets drinks export growth following trade visit
A delegation from Scotland has completed its maiden food and drink trade mission to India today (28 November).
The four-day visit of Scottish Development International, a JV between the Scottish Government, Scottish Enterprise and Highlands & Islands Enterprise, was led by James Withers, chief executive of public/private organisation Scotland Food & Drink. Scotch whisky, which generates around GBP4.3bn (US$7m) per year in total exports, played a prominent part among the various products that the delegation highlighted.
“The learning journey to India was an excellent opportunity to demonstrate why Scotland has garnered a reputation as the land of food and drink by introducing the country’s finest produce to some of India’s biggest retailers and hospitality brands”, said Withers.
Rooma Bussi, acting country manager for Scotland Development International, added: “India is a market of opportunity for Scotland’s premium food and drink producers and changing tastes and growing incomes are increasing demand for gourmet products.”
The visit follows the recent announcement that Scottish bottled water producer Highland Spring is entering the Indian market in a joint venture with a Delhi-based company.
The food and drink industry in Scotland generates around GBP13bn a year, said the agency. “Our aim is to grow the industry to GBP16.5bn by 2017 and increasing sales in key international markets such as India”, said Withers.
The European Union has been in long-running talks with India to secure a free trade agreement between the two. Discussions between the two, which began over five years ago, were reported earlier this year to be approaching the home straight, but no deal has been signed yet.
The Future of the Spirits Market in India to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Spirits consumption trends in India, historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, brand share, alcoholic strength, price se...read more
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research