UK: Scotch whisky entering third "golden era" - study
Scotch is entering another "golden era", it has been claimed
Nine out of ten bottles of Scotch whisky produced are now exported, while the industry has reached its third “golden era”, a business advisory firm has claimed.
The Scotch whisky industry is generating sales of GBP4.5bn a year, according to Grant Thornton.“Analysts believe the sector is now starting to go through its third ‘golden era’ with sales and brand equity reaching all time highs,” said Debbie Mayor, the firms corporate finance associate director.
But she warned: "European and American markets continue to drive much of the demand for the drink...the focus must now shift towards the very markets that are aiming to compete with us."
Scotch's "golden eras" are disputed. However, some regard the category's first “golden” era as the 1950s, with a second major boom witnessed in the 1970s.
The third "golden era" began last year, Grant Thornton suggests. “One year on, the trends are showing that it’s true and we’re witnessing a real growth in the sector,” a spokesperson said.
It is almost six months until Scotland decides. Will the country vote for independence from the UK on 18 September? Ian Buxton has a few thoughts on the matter, and he's surprised that the Scotch whis...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report