RUSSIA/US: Sazerac Co in dark on Russia Bourbon ban claims
US distiller Sazerac Co has said it has not heard from Russian authorities, despite reports that the company is facing a ban of its Kentucky Gentleman Bourbon brand in the country.
Rospotrebnadzor, Russia's Federal Service for the Supervision of Consumer Rights Protection and Human Welfare, was reported yesterday as having found Kentucky Gentleman to be in breach of “the law in the area of sanitary and epidemiological welfare”. The LA Times said that the agency had discovered “traces of toxic chemicals” in the product.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, a spokesperson for Sazerac said the company has not heard anything officially about the reports. “We have not been contacted by Rospotrebnadzor,” the spokesperson said, “We have no comments to make at this time.”
Privately-owned Sazerac, which also owns the Buffalo Trace Bourbon brand, operates predominantly in the value category of the spirits market.
This latest global category insights report from just-drinks/IWSR suggests that: "Liqueurs brand owners need to shout about the crucial role their products play in classic and modern cocktail recipes ...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends