GLOBAL: SABMiller signs Kopparberg Brewery licensing deal
SABMiller aims to widen Kopparberg's distribution
SABMiller is to take Kopparberg Brewery into new markets under a licensing agreement with the Swedish cider maker.
The UK-headquartered brewer will make Kopparberg cider available for distribution in “markets where Kopparberg does not have an existing interest”, it said today (18 June).
SABMiller has already signed an exclusive distribution and marketing agreement for Australia, with “four or five” more countries to follow in the coming months, a SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks.
No financial details for the “long-term” agreement with Kopparberg have been disclosed, the spokesperson said.
Kopparberg already has an off-trade presence in Australia, where it is the fourth-biggest-selling cider in the Woolworths supermarket chain, the spokesperson said. The new agreement will continue the Woolworths listing, the spokesperson said, adding: “We're are looking to grow (Kopparberg) out further.”
Kopparberg, which also makes water and beer, is already available in about 40 countries, including the UK, where brands such as Naked Apple Cider are distributed through its own COS Brands distribution and marketing arm.
COS Brands changed its name from Cider of Sweden in 2010.
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends