GLOBAL: SABMiller signs Kopparberg Brewery licensing deal
SABMiller aims to widen Kopparberg's distribution
SABMiller is to take Kopparberg Brewery into new markets under a licensing agreement with the Swedish cider maker.
The UK-headquartered brewer will make Kopparberg cider available for distribution in “markets where Kopparberg does not have an existing interest”, it said today (18 June).
SABMiller has already signed an exclusive distribution and marketing agreement for Australia, with “four or five” more countries to follow in the coming months, a SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks.
No financial details for the “long-term” agreement with Kopparberg have been disclosed, the spokesperson said.
Kopparberg already has an off-trade presence in Australia, where it is the fourth-biggest-selling cider in the Woolworths supermarket chain, the spokesperson said. The new agreement will continue the Woolworths listing, the spokesperson said, adding: “We're are looking to grow (Kopparberg) out further.”
Kopparberg, which also makes water and beer, is already available in about 40 countries, including the UK, where brands such as Naked Apple Cider are distributed through its own COS Brands distribution and marketing arm.
COS Brands changed its name from Cider of Sweden in 2010.
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends