ZAMBIA: SABMiller puts faith in Chibuku Super with US$24m plant
SABMiller has found success in Zambia with Chibuku
SABMiller is to increase production of its Chibuku Super brand in Zambia with a new US$24m brewery.
The company's subsidiary in the country, National Breweries, said today (22 August) that it plans to pull down its four-decades-old Lusaka plant and build in its place a “high-tech opaque brewery”. The site will be able to produce Chibuku Super and Chibuku Shake Shake, which have found “great success” in Zambia, a SABMiller spokesperson said.
Last year, National Breweries opened a $5m PET plant in Kitwe that produces Chibuku Super only. The new Lusaka Brewery, which SABMiller expects to be finished by June next year, will help National Breweries “better meet the needs” of its consumers.
Chibuku Super, which has been described as a likely "game-changer" for SABMiller in Africa, is a variant on the opaque beer Chibuku that has a fixed abv of 3.5% and comes in PET packaging. The variant has a longer shelf-life than Chibuku, which ferments in the packaging and expires after five days.
Today's investment adds to the $16m SABMiller has put into the Chibuku brand over the past two years.
Last week, MillerCoors unveiled the biggest brand launch in its five-and-a-half year history: Miller Fortune, a beer designed to take on the spirits market. But, how will this strategy play out, and w...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research