NETHERLANDS: SABMiller launches Pilsner Urquell
SABMiller increases challenge to Heineken
The 4.4% abv Czech beer is to be sold at premium prices in selected bars, restaurants and specialist retailers in the country, SABMiller said yesterday (14 July).
The move increases SABMiller's direct challenge to Heineken in its domestic market.
Heineken has a 47% share of the Netherlands beer market, but saw volume sales in the country fall by 6.4% in 2009 due to declines for both its Heineken and Amstel brands.
It performed better than Heineken in 2009, reporting a decline of just 2% in domestic lager sales by volume within a beer market that has been hit by heavy discounting in the off-trade.
Pilsner Urquell will be imported to the Netherlands from SABMiller's subsidiary in the Czech Republic, Plzenský Prazdroj.
"There is an emerging group of consumers looking for new but authentic brands offering something different," said Petr Dvorak, SABMiller's global brand director for Pilsner Urquell.
The first management briefing of 2011, brought to you by Euromonitor, looks at what this year will bring for the global drinks industry. Ahead of this, just-drinks looks back to look forward: Our brie...
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
Welcome back from what felt like a long Christmas and New Year break. As always at this time of year, the media is awash with predictions about the 12 months ahead. Who are we, then, to buck this time...
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Treasury Wine Estates sees H1 sales, profits soar
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends