UGANDA: SABMiller completes second brewery
SABMiller has opened a second brewery in Uganda as it seeks to relieve capacity pressures in the country.
The new facility, in Mbarara, western Uganda, doubles the capacity of SABMiller's Ugandan subsidiary, Nile Breweries, to 3.6m hectolitres, the brewer said today (22 August). The facility was officially opened today but has been operational since April.
“The growth potential in Uganda, particularly Western Uganda, is significant and the new brewery in Mbarara will allow us to realise the opportunity,” said Mark Bowman, MD for SABMiller Africa. “Building a second brewery in Uganda is part of our strategy to invest in new capacity across Africa so that we are in a strong position to capitalise on the continent’s long-term beer market growth over the coming decades.”
Clear beer volumes in Uganda have grown by 11% annually over the past six years, with volumes expected to continue to climb in the “foreseeable future”, SABMiller said. The new brewery brings SABMiller's investment in Uganda to $200m over the past five years.
Construction on the US$90m site began in February last year. It will operate alongside SABMiller's River Nile plant in Jinja, which underwent a $29m expansion in 2009. The new brewery will produce beers including Nile Special, Club Pilsener, Eagle Extra, Eagle Lager, and Chairman’s Extra Strong Brew.
Last week, MillerCoors unveiled the biggest brand launch in its five-and-a-half year history: Miller Fortune, a beer designed to take on the spirits market. But, how will this strategy play out, and w...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The world’s second largest brewer, SABMiller’s geographic profile provides a strong platform from which to exploit forecast volume growth in emerging markets. This profile analyses the company’s emplo...
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Australia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ...
This report comprises high level market research data on the Colombia beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and ana...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets