SOUTH AFRICA: SAB takes "drastic" action to save Lion Lager
South African Breweries (SAB) has announced that the company is to embark on what has been referred to as "drastic measures" to save its ailing 110-year-old Lion Lager brand.The steps to be undertaken include a repackaging and labelling of the brand, as well as reducing the alcohol content of the beer.The repackaged Lion Lager will only be sold in cans and 370ml bottles, which is expected to appeal to the new target market of sports fanatics. The existing draught barrels, pints and quarts will be discontinued.SAB also announced that it would attempt the re-launch of Dakota Ice, a beer which entered the market last year, targeted at the more trendy end of the market. The company refused to comment to just drinks.com about any detailed changes regarding its export strategy.Lion lager was once a top selling beer in South Africa, yet hard times have fallen upon the brand with current market share estimated at around 5% while rival Castle Lager enjoys 65% of the South African market.Richard Hurst
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research