SOUTH AFRICA: SAB taken on by UK's Bulmers on home turf
South African Breweries, which controls 98% of the local beer market, faces the UK' s HP Bulmer, which has been buoyed by its success in the UK, a success it believes it can now repeat in South Africa.
While the local beer market is showing static growth, the cider market is growing in excess of 20% annually. Currently the cider market in SA is the second largest in the world (after the UK), making it an irresistible opportunity for the likes of Bulmers as it looks to increase its turnover.
The SA cider market is dominated by SFW (Stellenbosch Farmers Winery) and Distillers Corporation (presently engaged in merger talks) with around 70% of the market, followed by SAB with 18% and HP Bulmer with just over 2%.
A joint venture has been set up with Bavaria Brau, a family-owned brewery near Pretoria, in which HP Bulmer owns 70% although it takes 90% of the distributed profits.
However, there have been problems in the first months of operation resulting in a R4m operating loss on turnover. Reasons for the depressed profits are in part due to distribution problems, "slow penetration of the mass market" and not least to the ravages of nature - unseasonal rains and a tornado struck the brewing plant in December.
Despite these setbacks HP Bulmer remains optimistic it can succeed and break even well within the next five years.
Having recorded a third consecutive year of volume, margin and earnings growth, global brewing force, SAB Miller, was in a position to give shareholders a 27% dividend increase and eye the acquisition...
The race for ownership of Empresarial Bavaria could be settled within the next few weeks, according to press reports....
Brewers SABMiller and Heineken are thought to be close to making another proposal to acquire the Latin American business Bavaria....
Speculation is growing that a bid for Empresarial Bavaria could come in the next two weeks....
InBev believes that other companies are more interested in Bavaria than it is....
Rumours that SABMiller is poised to launch a bid for Empresarial Bavaria swept the trading floor yesterday (2 June)....
Shares in the UK-based brewing group, Scottish & Newcastle (S&N), rose on the back of a rumour that the company has pulled out of the race to acquire the Colombian brewer, Bavaria, The Times has repor...
Bavaria has authorised a five-year syndicated loan of up to US$250m....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts