RUSSIA/UK: Russian Standard teams with Whyte & Mackay in UK
Russian Standard will switch UK distribution from William Grant & Sons to Whyte & Mackay on 1 January
Russian Standard has secured distribution of its namesake vodka brand in the UK through a partnership with Whyte & Mackay.
The company, which is set to split from William Grant & Sons' First Drinks Brands unit in the UK at the end of this year, confirmed today (19 September) that it will form a distribution partnership with Whyte & Mackay in the country from 1 January. Russian Standard and William Grant agreed in April to terminate their relationship in the UK ahead of the previously agreed date.
“We have been very encouraged by the significant interest shown by prospective distributors following our decision to change distributors," said Russian Standard International's CEO, Jonathan Stordy. "The distribution arrangement we have agreed with Whyte & Mackay offers us an exciting chance to manage our brand more closely in the UK market." Stordy added that "the opportunity to take greater control of our route to market in the UK ... is extremely attractive.”
Whyte & Mackay's CEO, John Beard, said: “With [Russian Standard's] 2012 brand investment above GBP10m (US$15.8m), we are confident we can build on the strong platform already created."
just-drinks is hoping to talk exclusively to Beard at TFWA World Exhibition in Cannes later today.
Having recently returned from his travels, Ian Buxton reports back on some of the more outlandish attempts to innovate in the notoriously traditionalist world of whisk(e)y....
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research