US: Russian Standard hands Gancia Wine distribution to The Wine Group
Russian Standard took over CEDC last month
Russian Standard has continued moves to up its US presence through a distribution agreement with The Wine Group for Gancia Sparkling Wine.
The Wine Group has exclusive rights to distribute, sell and market the Italian brand in the US, Russian Standard said today (24 July). The agreement covers Gancia's Prosecco, Moscato D’Asti, Asti and Moscato Rosé.
Russian Standard, which bought a majority stake in Piedmont-based Gancia Wines in 2011, has been increasing focus on its US portfolio since its takeover of Central European Distribution Corporation last month.
Green Mark, a CEDC vodka, is now on sale through Russian Standard's distribution network in the country and the company has taken over US distribution of another CEDC vodka, Poland's Zubrówka.
Russian Standard owner Roustam Tariko said of the latest deal: “Together with the strength of The Wine Group we are confident of success in the strategically important US market.”
A Russian Standard spokesperson told just-drinks Gancia was not being distributed in the US at the time of its takeover in 2011. The spokesperson added that Gancia has been available in the US since 1946, when distribution was handled by Chicago-based Paterno Imports. The most recent distribution deal was in 2008 with Miami-based OWS, the spokesperson said.
Earlier this month, Russian Standard said it is dropping Gruppo Campari as distributor of its Russian Standard vodka in Germany and Austria after signing a new deal with Borco-Marken-Import.
(This article was updated on 25 July to clarify that Gancia wines were not being distributed in the US at the time of its takeover by Russian Standard.)
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Eyebrows rose earlier this week at the US$16bn that Suntory is set to pay for Beam Inc. At 20 times the company's EBITDA, the transaction is at the more expensive end of the scale. Here, courtesy of a...
Gruppo Campari's CEO has revealed that Aperol's sponsorship deal with Manchester United FC is part of a second stage of targeted international growth for the liqueur brand, after initial success in Eu...
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends