RUSSIA: Russian beer production leaps but brewers face trying times
Russia produced 4.27bn litres of beer in the period January to September 2000, an increase of 21.4% year-on-year, the country's statistical authorities have reported, but many brewers still face extinction.Head of the executive secretariat of the Russian Beer and Soft Drink Producers Union, Vyacheslav Mamontov, has reported that the increase is due to around 30 companies undergoing full reconstruction in the period.These 30 companies of around 300 large and mid-sized producers accounted for 80% of production growth. In particular Mamontov pointed to the Baltika Brewery in St Petersburg, Ochakovo in Moscow, Sun Interbrew, and Krasny Vostok in Kazan.The picture for other brewers was not so rosy with many only just staying in business, with as many as 15% seeing drops in sales.The leading companies have better technology, well-known brands and are able to invest in advertising. Mamotov said that the other are struggling to keep up and the trends suggest there will soon only be a few players left on the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Half-year sales lift for Pernod Ricard
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research