RUSSIA: Russian beer production leaps but brewers face trying times
Russia produced 4.27bn litres of beer in the period January to September 2000, an increase of 21.4% year-on-year, the country's statistical authorities have reported, but many brewers still face extinction.Head of the executive secretariat of the Russian Beer and Soft Drink Producers Union, Vyacheslav Mamontov, has reported that the increase is due to around 30 companies undergoing full reconstruction in the period.These 30 companies of around 300 large and mid-sized producers accounted for 80% of production growth. In particular Mamontov pointed to the Baltika Brewery in St Petersburg, Ochakovo in Moscow, Sun Interbrew, and Krasny Vostok in Kazan.The picture for other brewers was not so rosy with many only just staying in business, with as many as 15% seeing drops in sales.The leading companies have better technology, well-known brands and are able to invest in advertising. Mamotov said that the other are struggling to keep up and the trends suggest there will soon only be a few players left on the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Coca-Cola Amatil names new CFO
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly