UK: Ribena Toothkind claim to stay on packaging
Trading Standard Officers has said in a statement issued today they will not be asking Smithkline Beecham to remove the claim "Ribena Toothkind does not encourage tooth decay" from its packaging.Responding to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruling that the claim by SmithKline Beecham is absolute and not comparative, Hounslow Trading Standards said that following an investigation two years ago by an independent public analyst, the product description was not misleading.The statement concluded: "The product description was not misleading and the claim that the drink does not encourage tooth decay could be substantiated. Hounslow Council therefore does not consider SmithKline Beecham's advertising to be misleading and will not be asking the company to remove the claim from its packaging."SmithKline Beecham is to challenge the ASA ruling after being granted permission to apply for a judicial review in the high court.The ASA and Hounslow Trading Standards were prompted to investigate the claims after complaints from pressure groups such as Action and Information on Sugar.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends