UK: Ribena Toothkind claim to stay on packaging
Trading Standard Officers has said in a statement issued today they will not be asking Smithkline Beecham to remove the claim "Ribena Toothkind does not encourage tooth decay" from its packaging.Responding to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruling that the claim by SmithKline Beecham is absolute and not comparative, Hounslow Trading Standards said that following an investigation two years ago by an independent public analyst, the product description was not misleading.The statement concluded: "The product description was not misleading and the claim that the drink does not encourage tooth decay could be substantiated. Hounslow Council therefore does not consider SmithKline Beecham's advertising to be misleading and will not be asking the company to remove the claim from its packaging."SmithKline Beecham is to challenge the ASA ruling after being granted permission to apply for a judicial review in the high court.The ASA and Hounslow Trading Standards were prompted to investigate the claims after complaints from pressure groups such as Action and Information on Sugar.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends