UK: Resurgent off-trade sales push Q3 beer growth
On-trade losses slowed in Q3
Strong off-trade growth has seen UK beer sales take their biggest quarterly leap this century while on-trade losses slowed, new figures have shown.
Total beers sales in the three months to the end of September rose by 5.2%, or 103m pints, according to the British Beer & Pub Association’s quarterly Beer Barometer, published today (31 October). Off-trade sales were up by 12.5% over the same period, their biggest increase in a decade, but on-trade sales in the third quarter dropped by 1.2%.
The on-trade fall, which follows a 5.8% drop in the second three months of the year, is still the sector's most favourable third-quarter performance since 2003, the trade body said. Off-trade sales in Q2 were down by 3.6%.
The BBPA's chief executive, Brigid Simmonds, praised the figures, calling on UK authorities to again freeze increases on beer taxes after Chancellor George Osborne abolished the duty escalator on beer in March. The escalator, introduced in 2008, saw duty rates on alcohol increase automatically by 2% above inflation per year, on top of additional rises. The escalator has been kept in place on wine, spirits and cider.
Simmonds said: “After many years of disappointing figures it’s great to see a great British product reporting such a strong third quarter performance. There is a still a way to go, but with increased investment and a fairer tax regime, we can build for future success.”
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts