AUSTRALIA: Refunded beer excise funds rehabilitation foundation
Senator Lees has been reported as saying the Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation would receive $A115m ($55.8m), with the bulk of the funds to be spent over the next four years on preventing alcohol abuse.
A further $A5m ($2.42m) would be spent on grants to preserve historic hotels in regional and country areas, which do not have any income from gaming machines.
Its decision not to increase beer excise means the government now has to hand over an estimated $180m, which has already been collected in excise to the breweries. Earlier corporate affairs manager for Lion Nathan, Gabriel McDowell said: "We always said that we would set up an independent foundation, a charitable foundation."
Lees said: "It is money that should never have been collected."
Companies: Lion Nathan
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Lion Nathan has confirmed that it is in talks with an Australian wine distributor....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
Lion Nathan has posted a leap in profits for the first half of this year....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends