SOUTH AFRICA: Record Nederburg Auction - but need to market event overseas
Of those exports, 7.1% went to Namibia and in particular to one specific buyer, the Heinitzburg Hotel group.
Questions were asked why only 2 cases of wines went directly to bidders from the UK, South Africa's biggest export market.
Jan Scannel, MD of Distell, under whom Nederburg resides, said the company would in future be looking at addressing overseas marketing and the structure of the event.
Manager of the auction, Bennie Howard, however, said it was not possible to determine exactly how much of the wine purchased by local bidders eventually found its way overseas after it was sold.
The glamour event on 6 and 7 April saw South African supermarket groups clinching the lions share of auction wines, with Spar Supermarkets becoming the first group to buy more than R1m ($ 0.12m) worth of wine.
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits