INDIA: Private equity firms named in United Spirits talks - report
The private equity firms in talks with United Spirits over a potential stake buy have been named by a local report as Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, Blackstone Group and Capital International.
A United Spirits (USL) source told just-drinks earlier this week that the company was seeking investment, possibly of around US$200-300m, from a top private equity group, as it looks to pay down debt.
No names were given, but a report in India's Economic Times newspaper today (2 July) names Blacktsone, KKR and Capital International as investors interested in acquiring a stake of up to 10% in USL.
Separately, USL confirmed to just-drinks this week that it remains in talks with Diageo over a potential stake sale. It would not comment on the progress of the talks.
USL, which controls more than two thirds of India's spirits market and is part of billionaire Vijay Mallya's UB Group, is seeking to deleverage.
The firm raised INR11bn (US$180m) this week to meet a September payment on a US$625m loan taken out to fund the acquisition of Whyte & Mackay, bought for $1.18bn in 2007.
The firm raised INR9bn by Shaw Wallace selling all of its 10.3m shares in the group, via the Mumbai Stock Exchange. A further share sale on the National Stock Exchange raised INR2bn.
Additional reporting by Kevin Jacobs.
Destocking and economic turmoil aside, 2009 must surely be the year when Japan's latent drinks giants seized their chance to make themselves heard on the international scene....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read News Stories of 2009....
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Interviews of 2009....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Comment Pieces of 2009....
As the decade draws to a close and just-drinks reflects on its first ten years of publication, our editorial team picks the ten stories that defined the noughties for the drinks industry and shaped ou...
A fire broke out at St James' Gate brewery in Dublin, home to Diageo's Guinness brand, yesterday (21 December)....
Sales of fine wine at auction house Christie's during 2009 were broadly level with 2008, as Asia helped to maintain demand during the global economic downturn....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- This week in spirits & wine
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts