US: Price rises in US spirits market hits Diageo, Pernod Ricard volumes in Q1 - figures
Diageo saw pricing rise 2.9% in Q1, according to Nielsen figures
Statistics from Nielsen, highlighted by Investec Securities late last week, showed that Diageo's volumes in the three months to the end of March were down by 1.5% year-on-year, as pricing rose by 2.9%. Pernod, meanwhile, saw volumes dip by 0.8% on a pricing increase of 3.2%.
The figures clearly indicate that the premiumisation trend continues in the US spirits category, Investec noted, as "consumers trade up into luxury brands".
Of the other main spirits player in the US, Brown-Forman's performance was the most impressive in the quarter, with volumes and price both rising, by 8.4% and 1.1%, respectively. Bacardi saw volumes increase by 2.1% as prices fell back by 0.5%, while Beam's 3.2% drop in volumes came as a result of a 6.6% rise in prices in the period.
Brown-Forman posted the largest market share move, up 0.3% in value terms on a year ago.
In a way it must be a bit galling for the undoubtedly talented number crunchers at the International Wine and Spirit Record (IWSR) that their carefully devised methodology for calculating the world's ...
While the opening day of the ICAP 'Global Actions: Initiatives to Reduce Harmful Drinking' conference focused on many of the industry-led programmes initiated since 2010 when the WHO 'Global Strategy ...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends