Exclusive - CHINA: Pernod Ricard to use QR codes on all China packaging
Pernod will have QR codes on all its products in China by next year
Pernod Ricard will have QR codes on all products in China by next April, just-drinks has learned.
The digital codes, which consumers can scan with smart phones, will help combat counterfeiting by automatically checking the code against a known database. Consumers will also be able to download information on the product's provenance.
The packaging strategy was revealed by Alister McIntosh, manufacturing director for Chivas Brothers, Pernod's Scotch whisky unit, which is today (17 September) officially opening its new super-premium bottling plant. The plant, in Paisley, near Glasgow, is part of Pernod's new GBP40m (US$62.2m) annual investment in Scotch to increase production.
“There will be a QR code on every Pernod Ricard bottle in China within seven to eight months,” McIntosh said.
He added that alcohol makers must be prepared for to have digital printing on all packaging so consumers know “where every single bottle came from and where it was produced”.
Asked if the QR codes are for anti-counterfeiting or for consumer knowledge, McIntosh said: “It's a duel stream.
“We have always got to be one step ahead. A lot of the packaging that we do is to protect the Chivas brand.”
In a talk at the London International Wine Fair in May, a counterfeiting expert said QR codes are the only sure way to stamp out fakes in the alcohol industry.
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
Business Monitor International's France Food and Drink Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, food and drink associations, government departments and regulatory bo...
Pernod Ricard has completed the sale of a bond that will net the company EUR850m (US$1.18bn)....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research