UK: Pernod Ricard To Question Bacardi's Student Bar Deal
This is yet a further twist to the ongoing saga between the French wine and spirits giant and Bacardi over the Cuban rum brand. Under the agreement, the National Union of Students Supply Company Ltd., in which the NUS owns a 25% stake, has decided to sign a "sole supply deal" with Bacardi worth £625,000 to sell its white rum at all student venues.
"From what we understand is that 95% of the white rum sold through student bars was Bacardi-Martini. This contract has now exceeded this figure to 100%. We will naturally be checking this deal to see if it contravenes EU regulations," a Pernod Ricard executive told just-drinks.com.
He did admit, however, that legally it might be difficult to successfully launch an anti-competitive case. "It will be difficult under law to prove a monopoly of a specific category of people, in this case students," he said.
The NUS has issued a statement distancing itself from the deal, claiming the supply company "was not directly affiliated with the NUS, and has nothing to do with our own stance," a spokesman said.
Bacardi refused to comment on the agreement.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends