UK: Pernod Ricard To Question Bacardi's Student Bar Deal
Pernod Ricard is to check the validity of a decision by the UK supply company to the country's student population to stock only Bacardi-Martini white rum, in essence banning Havana Club, from the National Union of Students (NUS) bars.This is yet a further twist to the ongoing saga between the French wine and spirits giant and Bacardi over the Cuban rum brand. Under the agreement, the National Union of Students Supply Company Ltd., in which the NUS owns a 25% stake, has decided to sign a "sole supply deal" with Bacardi worth £625,000 to sell its white rum at all student venues."From what we understand is that 95% of the white rum sold through student bars was Bacardi-Martini. This contract has now exceeded this figure to 100%. We will naturally be checking this deal to see if it contravenes EU regulations," a Pernod Ricard executive told just-drinks.com.He did admit, however, that legally it might be difficult to successfully launch an anti-competitive case. "It will be difficult under law to prove a monopoly of a specific category of people, in this case students," he said.The NUS has issued a statement distancing itself from the deal, claiming the supply company "was not directly affiliated with the NUS, and has nothing to do with our own stance," a spokesman said.Bacardi refused to comment on the agreement.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range
- AB InBev launches Budweiser Uber tie-up in UK