UK: Pernod Ricard targets 2015 for new Scotch distillery
The new Scotch distillery will complete in 2015, said Pernod Ricard's Chivas Brothers unit
The company, which last year announced plans to invest GBP40m (US$62.2m) per year in its Chivas Brothers premium Scotch and gin division, said late last year that it was looking to construct a new malt whisky distillery in Scotland. Pernod selected the site of its silent Imperial Distillery on Speyside for the facility.
In London today (19 February), the communications director at Chivas Brothers, Vanessa Wright, said that the unit is “looking towards 2015 for completion”.
“We're going through the planning process at the moment,” she said.
Wright was unable to detail when production will begin or what the capacity will be. “We're looking at all the different options for the site,” she said. “It will be a significant capacity.”
As emerging markets continue to soak up Scotch, Pernod increased capacity at its existing distilleries in Scotland last year by 25%, Wright noted.
The Imperial Distillery, which has been inactive since 1998 and was acquired by Chivas Brothers in 2005, is located on the banks of the River Spey near Carron.
As SPI Group looks to weather a boycott of Stolichnaya in the US, Chris Mercer considers what steps a drinks company should take if - or when - a crisis hits....
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports. ...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts