CUBA: Pernod Ricard, Bacardi Havana Club row rumbles on
The France-based company, which handles the sales, distribution and marketing of Havana Club, is the subject of an ownership claim by Bacardi for the Havana Club trademark in the US, dating back to 1995.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks in Cuba yesterday (25 February), Marc Beuve-Méry, managing director of Havana Club International, said there was "absolutely nothing new" to say about the ongoing dispute.
"The judge (in the US) is collecting data," Beuve-Méry, said. "It's a lengthy process because if someone brings some additional data, and the opposite party says that the data is irrelevant, then the judge has to say whether it's relevant or not. We're in that game."
When asked if there was a timescale in place for a decision, Beuve-Méry said: "I cannot really tell you. We may have some news in 2009. We had a delay when we were expecting a decision last year. The year before, the judge was changed."
In 2005, Pernod won a legal case brought by Bacardi in Spain over the trademark. The case is now on appeal in front of the country's Supreme Court.
"In the US," Beuve-Méry said, "the process is taking longer and seems less easy to decide because it's a very political subject."
However, a Bacardi spokesperson said: "In 2006, the US Patent and Trademark office deemed Cuba's US registration of the Havana Club trademark 'cancelled/expired.' The cancellation of the Cuba's US trademark puts an end to any vestige Pernod Ricard and Cuba have to any rights in the US for the Havana Club trademark, unless Cuba is successful in overcoming this decision."
Pernod Ricard USA has today (11 August) launched its off-premise value added pack (VAP) line up for the company's core wine and spirit brands for the next season....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
New Zealand's top selling wine, Pernod Ricard-owned Montana, is chasing greater Australian market share with a $A1m advertising campaign....
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co, a leading beverage producer in China, began a joint venture with Danone Group to form five new subsidiaries....
Pernod Ricard's Olmeca Altos...
Bacardi has announced the appointment of a new regional manager in its global travel retail division....
Pernod Ricard has announced a change of international brand director for its Jameson Irish whiskey brand....
Pernod Ricard USA has released a limited edition Kahlúa coffee cream liqueur....
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages