FRANCE: Pernod and Soyuzplodoimport talks begin
Soyuzplodoimport owns the Stolichnaya, Moskovskaya and other vodka brands in Russia, while Pernod and Yury Shefler, a major shareholder of Swiss company SPI (also known, confusingly, as Soyuzplodimport), own the rights to distribute the Stolichnaya brand in countries outside Russia. Soyuzplodoimport has been in dispute with SPI on the matter since 2002.
In 2003, the World Intellectual Property Organisation ruled that the Stolichnaya brand, as well as some other famous brands, should belong to Soyuzplodoimport, and not to SPI.
Soyuzplodoimport sold its rights to the brands to SPI in 1997. The vodka trademarks were sold for US$300,000 at the time. The market price for just two brands, Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya, was then estimated at US$400m.
Pernod hopes the talks will result in the two sides "finding a common agreement regarding the future development of a number of selected Russian spirits brands, including the Stolichnaya vodka brand.
"The discussions are ongoing and, while no assurances can be provided that an agreement can be reached, it is the firm intention of both companies to finalise these talks in a swift manner," Pernod added.
Soyuzplodoimport has retained Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein as financial advisor for the talks, while Pernod has retained Morgan Stanley.
"In connection with these discussions, the parties have signed a confidentiality agreement," Pernod concluded. "No further announcement will be forthcoming until the conclusion of the negotiations."
Pernod Ricard has a good record of turning brands around, and is likely to need all that experience to revive the flagging fortunes of ex-Allied Domecq Scotch whisky Ballantine's. Brand director Peter...
Pernod Ricard has quelled speculation that its talks with Soyuzplodimport have reached an "advanced" stage....
Havana Club International is to launch a brand extension in the UK....
Beam Wine Estates, part of Beam Global Spirits & Wine, has announced the appointment of Christopher Lynch as chief marketing officer, with effect from January....
US drinks importer Admiral Imports has launched Canadian-produced Iceberg Gin in the US....
Soyuz-Victan is entering the internet radio ring....
The former chairman of Allied Domecq has joined UK-based wine merchant Berry Bros & Rudd....
John Smith's has extended its sponsorship of the Grand National horse race....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014