CHINA: PepsiCo swoops to take Burger King from Coca-Cola Co
It is PepsiCo's first partnership with Burger King in China
The deal will boost growth in a country expected to be the world's largest food and beverage market by 2015, PepsiCo said on Wednesday (9 January). Burger King's 100 or so stores across China started serving PepsiCo's portfolio earlier this month, the group said.
Coca-Cola previously supplied beverages for Burger King in China, according to the Wall Street Journal.
PepsiCo has a long relationship with Burger King in other markets, such as the US, Latin America, Russia, and Turkey, but this is the first time the two companies have partnered in China. Pepsi Beverage Business, PepsiCo's Chinese bottler, is the named supplier in the deal.
PepsiCo and Burger King said they will launch a joint promotion in the run up to the Chinese New Year. Burger King also said it plans to extend the number of its restaurants in China over the next five years.
It is not the first time PepsiCo has pushed its rival out of a restaurant. In May, it signed a deal with two US restaurants to end a shared provision with Coca-Cola.
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends