GLOBAL: Peltz calls on PepsiCo to make Mondelez approach
PepsiCo is being urged to make a bid for Mondelez
Activist investor Nelson Peltz has claimed that PepsiCo's current model is “unsustainable” and urged the group to buy snacks firm Mondelez.
An analysis published by Peltz's Trian Fund Management yesterday (17 July) says that PepsiCo has “significantly underperformed over a prolonged period of time”. It suggests the issue is “structural” as the company grapples with its fast-growth and slow-growth businesses.
“We believe the status quo is unsustainable,” the analysis said.
Trian, which owns around $1.3bn-worth of PepsiCo shares, said the group should either buy food and beverage multinational Mondelez and spin-off its own beverage unit, or separate its snacks and soft drinks businesses into two standalone companies.
It emerged earlier this year that Peltz was building up stakes in PepsiCo and Mondelez.
However, Trian said: “PepsiCo has indicated that it is not inclined to pursue a Mondelez transaction, though we disagree with their rationale and hope they will reconsider their position”
It added: “If PepsiCo does not pursue a Mondelez transaction, we believe it must separate snacks/beverages. Separating beverages from snacks preserves the possibility of a strategic transaction in the future, which can create additional value.”
However, in a statement emailed to just-drinks, a PepsiCo spokesperson disputed the remarks over the group's performance. “We have a strong growth strategy and structure in place, and our results to date and returns to our shareholders prove that we are a high performing company and our strategy is working," the spokesperson said.
"We are confident in our ability to deliver long-term shareholder value as an integrated food and beverage company.”
In April, the group admitted it had held discussions with Peltz over its long-term growth plans.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
The G8 Soft Drinks industry guide provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The guide al...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research