US: On-trade loses wine share, but consumption up
Wine consumption continues to grow in the US
Off-trade sales of US wine last year continued to eat into the on-trade as overall consumption increased for the 19th straight year, new figures have shown.
The US wine industry grew 1.9% to 318.0m nine-litre cases in 2012, according to the Beverage Information Group's 2013 Wine Handbook, released on Friday (20 September). However, on-trade share in US dollars fell by 0.2 percentage points to 43.6%.
In 2010, the US on-trade held a 44% share.
Total wine sales in the country stood at US$28.9bn last year, up from $27.9bn in 2011, the Beverage Information Group said.
Part of the success in the off-trade was down to an increase in direct-to-consumer sales, which last year contributed $1.4bn to the industry, the group said.
"What started out as a primary way for boutique wineries to get their product to the public has gotten the attention of larger wineries as well," said Adam Rogers, senior research analyst for The Beverage Information Group. “These larger wineries are choosing direct shipping as wholesalers consolidate.”
Last year's consumption increase was less than 2011's 3% growth.
Wine Market in Argentina to 2017 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
The industry report Wine Market in Argentina to 2017 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date perspective on the actual market situation, trends and future outlook for wine in A...read more
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research