UK: OFT reveals full concerns over AG Barr, Britvic merger
AG Barr and Britvic are convinced they can satisfy competition concerns over the deal
The authority yesterday (5 March) published its full 39-page ruling on the proposed tie-up, which it referred to the Competition Commission last month. Barr and Britvic have said they believe they can satisfy the concerns of regulators.
The OFT said the evidence showed that Britvic's brands offer a “sufficiently strong competitive constraint” to both Barr's Irn Bru and Orangina brands and that the loss of this constraint could elimiante that competition.
It added: “The OFT believes that it may be the case that the transaction will lead to an increased negotiating strength for the parties vis-à-vis customers, and hence higher prices given the resulting combination of brands.”
However, the authority said the merger would not affect water or fruit drinks as the companies do not compete “strongly” in this area.
The Competition Commission is expected to rule on the merger by July.
To see just-drinks' full coverage of AG Barr and Britvic's proposed merger, click here.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends