DENMARK: No decision yet on Euro brewery closures - Carlsberg
Carlsberg is examining all options following the Scottish & Newcastle deal, but has not yet made any decisions on European brewery closures.
Kasper Madsen, Carlsberg's supply chain director, was quoted in the Danish daily Berlingske Tidende this week as saying that no concrete decisions had yet been taken, but "we are naturally looking at how we can optimise our network of breweries in Europe in the future. One of the important questions is what the breweries in France and Greece imply for our overall structure."
Madsen rejected a British analyst's report that Carlsberg could close seven breweries over the next three years. Cazenove brewing industry analyst Matthew Webb has written that two breweries in Switzerland, two in Norway, two in Germany and one in Britain could close, bringing annual savings of around GBP40m (US$79.1m) - GBP50m.
As part of the S&N deal, Carlsberg on Friday launched a EUR12.4 per share bid for the remaining 25% of shares in Estonian brewery Saku that it does not already own as a result of taking over Russia's BBH.
Magners Cider was a phenomenal, but seemingly short-lived, brand success story. As C&C Group seeks to recover from the boom and bust experience that befell its cider brand, it is looking to its spirit...
Enterprise Inns has issued an apology to Carlsberg over claims it was delisting the lager in UK pubs and restaurants, according to reports....
Baltika has begun exporting its beer brands into Uruguay, with a view to branching out into Brazil and Argentina....
Coca-Cola GB is to bring its recently-acquired Abbey Well water brand under the Schweppes umbrella....
The SPI Group has secured distribution of its Stolichnaya vodka brand in the UK and Greece....
A U-turn by the UK government on this week's alcohol duty increase has split the spirits and wine industries in the country....
Carlsberg has set up a distribution joint-venture in Malaysia....
Foster's Group has prepared a direct sales, marketing and distribution organisation for its operations in Finland, Norway and Sweden....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- Diageo silent on United Spirits inspection
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review