US: New York City soda ban heads back to court - report
The soda ban has attracted plenty of publicity, but has yet to be enforced after legal interventions
New York City's proposed ban on large sodas is still alive, after the state's highest court agreed to hear an appeal against legal rulings stopping the move, according to reports.
Two lower courts have previously dismissed Mayor Michael Bloomberg's bid to ban high-sugar soft drinks bigger than 16oz (47.3cl) in the city's restuarants, movie theatres, food carts and other businesses. Bloomberg’s proposal was originally thrown out by New York's Supreme Court in March, the day before it was due to take effect, on the basis the rules were “arbitrary and capricious”.
But, New York State's Court of Appeals said yesterday (17 October) that it has agreed to hear an appeal from Bloomberg's administration, Reuters has reported. The court did not say why it had agreed to hear the appeal, the news agency said.
The court is not expected to hear the appeal until next year, when Mayor Bloomberg will have left office.
In a statement, following yesterday's news, Bloomberg reportedly said he is “confident” the appeals court will uphold the legislation.
A spokesperson for The American Beverage Association, which mounted a high-profile campaign against the proposals, told just-drinks: "The courts have agreed the Board of Health did not have the authority to pass this regulation. We are confident in these decisions, and we look forward to a final resolution of this issue."
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report