JAPAN: New Products from Japan
New type of can with screw cap A revolutionary new type of aluminum can with a screw cap is set to become the next hit product. Called the bottle can, it was first launched back in May by Kirin Brewery and Sapporo Breweries for their mainstay lager beers. All the top brewers except Asahi Breweries have been suffering loss of market share and falling sales. Desperate to reverse this trend, two major strategies have been adopted. The main tactic was the launch by Suntory and Sapporo Breweries some years ago, followed more recently by Kirin, of happoshu. This is similar to beer but produced from a very low malt content. The name in English for this type of brew keeps changing. It was called sparkling malt beverage but now the name beer taste seems to have become popular. Whatever it is called, it has been the saviour of Kirin and Suntory and to a lesser extent of Sapporo Breweries. The new bottle can has become popular because it can be reclosed, so it is not necessary to drink the entire contents at once. It is also popular because it is a novelty in a land where novelty is highly prized. Now Kirin Brewery has launched its hit product happoshu called Tanrei in the new bottle can. 450ml Y175. Sales target 7000,000 cases.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Pernod Ricard's Q3 2017 trading update - Preview
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- How soft drinks brands manage to offend consumers
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- William Grant snaps up Tuthilltown Spirits in US
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020