US: Name and launch date for JD malternative
Like other similar "malternatives" the drink is malt-based rather than spirits-based but the company said it does have some Jack Daniel's flavouring. According to Brown-Forman's director for JD, Erin Schlader, it "has a cola base flavour in which you can taste Jack Daniel's." Schlader added that some consumers said the drink had a vanilla flavour, while others said it tastes a little bit like root beer. It has an alcohol level of 5% abv and is to be produced and distributed by Miller Brewing.
Further details were also revealed. Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola will be packaged in 12-ounce amber long-necked bottles, with labelling which borrows from the JD design. Schlader said the company expects to ship about five million 24-bottle cases of Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola in the second half of 2002. There are 24 12-ounce bottles in each case. The company plans to begin national and cable TV advertising for the brand in the autumn.
Brown-Forman's entry into the malt-based RTD sector follows other moves by spirits companies into a fast-growing area of the market, led by Diageo's Smirnoff Ice. A collaboration between Miller and Allied Domecq saw the launch of Stolichnaya Citrona in April and will soon roll out Sauza Diablo. Miller also produces SKYY Blue in partnership with Skyy Spirits, owners of Skyy vodka.
The leading brewer, Anheuser-Busch, also joined the fray earlier this year with the launch of Bacardi Silver, while Coors produces the Zima brand and will soon be adding another RTD, Vibe, to its portfolio.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Europe's drinks companies start engines on CETA
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends