US: Name and launch date for JD malternative
Like other similar "malternatives" the drink is malt-based rather than spirits-based but the company said it does have some Jack Daniel's flavouring. According to Brown-Forman's director for JD, Erin Schlader, it "has a cola base flavour in which you can taste Jack Daniel's." Schlader added that some consumers said the drink had a vanilla flavour, while others said it tastes a little bit like root beer. It has an alcohol level of 5% abv and is to be produced and distributed by Miller Brewing.
Further details were also revealed. Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola will be packaged in 12-ounce amber long-necked bottles, with labelling which borrows from the JD design. Schlader said the company expects to ship about five million 24-bottle cases of Jack Daniel's Original Hard Cola in the second half of 2002. There are 24 12-ounce bottles in each case. The company plans to begin national and cable TV advertising for the brand in the autumn.
Brown-Forman's entry into the malt-based RTD sector follows other moves by spirits companies into a fast-growing area of the market, led by Diageo's Smirnoff Ice. A collaboration between Miller and Allied Domecq saw the launch of Stolichnaya Citrona in April and will soon roll out Sauza Diablo. Miller also produces SKYY Blue in partnership with Skyy Spirits, owners of Skyy vodka.
The leading brewer, Anheuser-Busch, also joined the fray earlier this year with the launch of Bacardi Silver, while Coors produces the Zima brand and will soon be adding another RTD, Vibe, to its portfolio.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Samuel Adams Brewery has secured a production deal with Brown-Forman....
A director of Brown-Forman Corp. has sold part of his holding in the company....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report