CANADA: Molson Coors to appeal Labatt's NHL ruling
Molson Coors, NHL to appeal against court ruling secured by Labatt
Molson Coors is to appeal a court ruling secured by rival brewer Labatt that would overturn its sponsorship deal with Canada's National Hockey League.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice ruled at the end of last week that National Hockey League (NHL) authorities wronged Labatt by signing a sponsorship deal with Molson Coors.
Today (6 June), Molson Coors called the ruling an "unfortunate surprise". The brewer and the NHL plan to appeal the ruling, which relates to a sponsorship deal signed in February of this year.
At the time, Labatt, which has sponsored Canada's NHL for ten years and which has a current deal that runs until this month, claimed that it had already agreed a new deal with NHL officials. Labatt is a division of Anheuser-Busch InBev.
Molson Coors Canada's president and CEO, Dave Perkins, said yesterday: "We are disappointed with Judge Newbould’s ruling given we entered into negotiations with the NHL in good faith.
"We remain committed to doing all we can to keep this sponsorship agreement in place with the NHL."
They've been arguing for more than 100 years, but are we in danger of reaching some sort of clarity on the Budweiser trademark dispute in Europe?...
Carlsberg has signed a deal to distribute Warsteiner beer in Ukraine....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research