BELGIUM: Moldova secures European GI protection for wines
European Union (EU) ministers have been asked to approve a geographical indication deal struck between Moldova and the EU, which will secure protection for Moldovan traditional winemakers from sales of unauthorised copies in the EU.
The wine styles protected are Moldovan Ciumai (?????) and Romanesti wines. In return, Moldova has promised to stop sales of any inauthentic copies of all EU drinks - and food - with geographical indication protection.
Upon releasing a copy of the agreement, the European Commission has now tabled it for authorisation. A Brussels memorandum said the deal would “improve the conditions of bilateral trade as well as to promote … quality” in traded drinks and food products.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends