News

CHINA: Moet Hennessy silent on Chinese winery developments

Most popular

Hard coffee founder details Diageo lessons

The just-drinks Analyst returns

How will Diageo change Cuban rum?

The just-drinks Analyst returns

Interview - Treasury CEO Mike Clarke - Part I

MORE

Moet Hennessy has declined to comment on reports suggesting its new winery in China is set to open by June.

//i2.aroq.com/1/moet.jpg

The new US$5.5m winery in the Ningxia Hui region of north-west China will see its first wines hitting shelves next year, according to a report on the website Asia Travel Tips. Premium sparking wines will be produced under the company's Chandon brand name.

The 6,300 sqm facility will feature a fully operational winery, fermentation cellars, tasting rooms and luxury visitor centre,

When contacted by just-drinks today (15 January), however, a Moet Hennessy spokesperson declined to comment on the report. 

News of the venture first emerged in May 2011 after Moet Hennessy signed a joint-venture with local agriculture group Ningxia Nongken. The French firm has a 60% controlling stake in the vineyards and Nongken the remaining 40%.

Moet Hennessy previously said that it hoped the Chandon (Ningxia) Winery will become “recognised as China's benchmark producer of premium sparkling wines”. 

Meanwhile, the company is also planning to produce a  high-end red wine inside China, having last year signed a tie-up deal with Chinese wine group VATS to build a winery in the Yunnan province.


Related Content

Moet Hennessy Performance Trends 2013-2017 - results data

Moet Hennessy Performance Trends 2013-2017 - results data...

Moet Hennessy not in play for Diageo, despite LVMH Christian Dior purchase

Moet Hennessy not in play for Diageo, despite LVMH Christian Dior purchase...

Why the world's wine producers won't have it all their own way in China - Comment

Why the world's wine producers won't have it all their own way in China - Comment...

What can the spirits and wine industries learn from Moet Hennessy? - Comment

What can the spirits and wine industries learn from Moet Hennessy? - Comment...

Oops! This article is copy protected.

Why can’t I copy the text on this page?

The ability to copy articles is specially reserved for people who are part of a group membership.

How do I become a group member?

To find out how you and your team can copy and share articles and save money as part of a group membership call Sean Clinton on
+44 (0)1527 573 736 or complete this form..



Forgot your password?