US: MillerCoors' Q1 profits slide despite sales increase
- Q1 like-for-like net profits down by 1.2% to US$271.9m
- Net sales up by 1.6% to $1.79bn
- Operating profits slip by 1.6%, hitting $274.5m
- Beer volumes drop by 1.9%
MillerCoors posted its Q1 results today
MillerCoors has posted a slight dip in first-quarter profits as volumes failed to compete with last year's sunshine-fuelled performance.
The US JV between SABMiller and Molson Coors said today (7 May) that net profits were down by 1.2% to US$271.9m in the three months to the end of March. Net sales increased by 1.6% to $1.79bn over the same period while operating profits dropped by 1.6% to $274.5m.
The company struggled to keep up with last year's first-quarter, when warm weather, especially during St Patrick's day, helped net profits surge by 17% and sales climb by 3.6%. MillerCoors' CEO Tom Long said some fall back was inevitable, but added: “Our portfolio transformation strategy is working as evidenced by our growth in domestic net revenue per barrel, so there is reason for optimism as our strategy unfolds.”
Domestic sales to retailers (STRs) fell by 3.3% in the quarter, with MillerCoors Premium Light down by mid-single digits and Coors Light down by low-single digits, MillerCoors said. Miller Lite declined high-single digits for the quarter.
Tenth and Blake Beer Company grew the MillerCoors craft and import portfolio by high-single digits in the quarter, driven by Blue Moon Brewing Company and the continued national expansion of Batch 19, the company said.
To read the company's official statement, click here.
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Beer in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets