UK: Marston's to invest in new pub model
Marston's rolls out new pub model
Marston's plans to invest more than GBP25m (US$37m) in order to transform the business model of around a third of its pubs.
Marston's said today (24 June) that it will increase the number of its pubs operating under a new Retail Agreement to 600, following a successful trial with 78 pubs.
The UK brewer said that it will spend GBP50,000 per pub, which means a total spend of around GBP26m.
The company said that it expects to recoup an extra GBP6m per year in profits from the 600 pubs.
Marston's has developed the Retail Agreement as an alternative to the traditional contracts between pub companies and tenants, following criticism of the pub-tie model from campaigners and politicians last year.
Under the Retail Agreement, pub tenants have the freedom to run their outlet as an independent business and are only required to pay a security deposit as an entry fee. Marston's has said that tenants will receive levels of support to match the managed pubs in its 1,680-strong estate.
Around 80% of a Retail Agreement pub's annual turnover will go to Marston's.
In April, Marston's said that it was “on track” to meet expectations for its current financial year.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends