UK: Majestic Wine sees sales struggle in year so far
Majestic Wine will announce its full-year results in June
Majestic Wine has warned that it has had a tough start to 2014, with its fiscal full-year sales now expected to come in flat.
In a trading update earlier today (20 March), the UK drinks retailer admitted to having suffered from “challenging trading conditions” since the beginning of the calendar year. The warning comes after Majestic said earlier this year that like-for-like sales in the ten weeks to 6 January rose by 2.8%.
“Although the ten-week Christmas trading period was satisfactory,” the company said, “we have experienced challenging trading conditions since the start of the 2014 calendar year. With two weeks to go until our year-end, we now expect like-for-like sales to be flat for the financial year as a whole.” Profits before tax are also expected to come in in-line with fiscal 2012/13.
The company is scheduled to report its fiscal full-year results, to the end of March, on 16 June.
Majestic used the update to highlight its investment in “the necessary infrastructure enhancements to underpin our future growth plans”. Included in the spend is new office space, a larger distribution facility and an increase in the size of the sales team.
“These investments are necessary to ensure that we can drive further growth, although the costs in the short term mean that the board now anticipates a flatter profit growth profile in the 2015 financial year,” Majestic said.
To read Majestic's full statement, click here.
Wine Merchants (UK) - Industry Report
Plimsoll Publishing’s WINE MERCHANTS (UK) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the WINE MERCHANTS (UK) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top 660 companies, including A...read more
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research